This past year has been strange. I have been so far from home for so long, I have forgotten what home was like. Many of us fled from earth and the Solar System at the collapse of the social order. Thank God we had the technology to do so. As war enveloped the earth, and spread to the other colonies, We decided to abandon all hope of peace there and find ourselves a new home. But was it worth it? Only time will tell.
On with my resolutions.
1. To find my diary. It contains all my memories of home. I want to remember it as it was, before the fall.
2. To find that special someone. Mom says it isn’t good to be a single woman in the colony. But no one has struck my fancy yet. Besides. I have a few years before I am too old to marry and have children.
3. To find true happiness. New Earth is wonderful, don’t get me wrong. It just lacks something sincere.
4. To find true peace. Whatever form it might take.
5. To return to Earth and see what has become of those we left behind. I left behind so many friends and loved ones. My Billy was left behind, fighting for Earth’s survival. I wonder what he looks like now. Or if he is even still alive.
6. To wander the universe, alone, for a while. Everyone needs a little time away.
7. Answers to all my questions. I know this is being unrealistic, but it would be nice.
8. To experience everything to its fullest.
9. To live each day to its fullest.
10. To be the best I can be to everyone, every day.
11. To get back into shape. This year, I have been lax in exercising. I have put off going to the gym, jogging in the park, and just taking daily walks. No more. I want to fit into my size five dress again when I get married.
12. To quit eating so much chocolate. Oh, and all other candy. Mom says I am sweet enough.
13. To eat more nutritiously.
14. To give more to others. Generosity is key to success.
15. To expect less out of others.
16. To lower my standards where possible suitors are concerned. No one will ever live up to Billy. Why must I continue to make them?
17. To seek out every opportunity to gaze at the stars. They are so beautiful here on New Earth. And much clearer and closer. So wonderful.
18. To explore beyond the bubble. The wilds beyond are so inviting.
19. To finish my biology and meta-science degrees. I am in my last year as a student. Next year, I will be able to accompany the teams out into the field.
20. And finally, I resolve to quit resolving to do things on every New Year. It is unbecoming of a young lady, or so papa says, to promise herself to do things and never actually do them.
These are my New Year’s resolutions for this coming year. May all happiness and peace descend upon New Earth. And may both find you, wherever you are.
Final note: word was received from Earth upon the New Year. Civilization had fallen finally. Billy had been tried and convicted, long ago (three centuries), of war crimes and executed. Wars raged on for a century or two until all semblance of culture and civility were gone, leaving savages to roam the Earth. Seems I will not be going back to Earth. Home no longer exists.
The message received, had been sent at the very end of the wars. It had been sent by the only ones left who knew how to operate the communication equipment. Then, when power failed, all messages ceased. I can’t believe that I have been away from Earth for three hundred years! Of course, We were all in stasis until just a year from our destination.