The Talmud is the Law. For those who do not know, there is a small, yet growing (and very ignorant of) segment of population that is wanting to turn the US into something equal-if not worse than- such countries (which we condemned as totalitarian) as Afghanistan under the rule of the Taliban and Iran. They want a theocracy (intolerant of any difference) based on their vision of the Bible. Following is an open letter addressed to those in this camp.
Dear Bible waving American who is in favor of basing this country’s laws off the Talmudic law:
let us first go through the ten commandments.
1. “You may have no other god before me.” You might as well quit trying to become the richest son of a bitch on earth, because this also includes such things as riches, wealth, position, physical possessions, and anything else that can get in the way of pure worship of the one true God.
2. “You shall have no idols or graven images.” might as well take down all your icons of Christ and Mary…and whatever other statues you own and pray to. Also, refer to number 1. anything that gets in the way of worshipping God is an idol.
3. “You shall not take the Lord’s name in vain.” oops. already, I know a butt load of you who have already failed. You curse and yell and…take god’s name (in all its forms) in vain.
4. “Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it Holy.” Oops. Again, there is a butt load of you who ignore this rule as well. And many of you profess to be men and women of God. Really? well, back to the drawing board. (BTW: the Jewish Sabbath is Saturday, not Sunday. I know I once observed the “Sabbath” while the church I went to was considered a cult-and rightly so)
5. “Honor your father and mother.” Here, again, many have definitely failed. in traditional view, the children were to care for their aged parents. How many of you would give of yourself to care for another? I didn’t think so. Many who are wanting these rules enacted would rather stick their aged parent in a home and forget they even exist. I see it so often, it isn’t funny. And most times, it is simply because the child wants their inheritance early. Greedy pukes.
6. “You shall not murder.” this does not say you shall not murder whites, or you shall not murder Christians, it says plainly: YOU SHALL NOT MURDER. This means that you are not to kill period. End of discussion.
7. “You shall not commit adultery”. This takes in a LOT of territory. It takes in sleeping with your secretary, your mistress, any coworkers you aren’t married to and those you might rape. Married men and women, you really should keep your hands to yourself. And I know that not a single one of those who want “Biblical” law follow this.
8. “You shall not steal.” Hmmmm. I know a lot of “Christians” that brag about stealing office supplies. I also know “Christian neighbors who steal their neighbors’ yard equipment. And yes, keeping it when it is on loan to you is still stealing. It doesn’t belong to you, right?
9. “You shall not give false testimony.” YOU SHALL NOT LIE, people. I know a lot of witnesses and several in the profession of the law who would definitely already be in prison for this one…along with every politician going. And a lot of so-called ministers.
10. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house, land, manservant, maidservant, ox, donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” In other words, you shall not desire your neighbor’s belongings. That includes what little money he may have or his flat screen TV, or his children, or his wife. well, there just went a whole bunch more of those illustrious “Biblical” law supporters. I know way too many who envy their neighbor. They envy the black. They envy the Jew. They envy the Mexican, Native American, or the Asian American. Why? because they aren’t at all happy with the situation they bought themselves. Or they believe that everything ought to belong to them. This is basically a command not to be greedy, people. And we have ALL failed.
Let’s move on to those “rules” you love to point to. The Unlawful sexual practices section.
1. “No one is to approach any relative to have sexual relations.” OK, there went all of Congress and Most of the Southern Republicans. Seems those of you who point to homosexuality ignore this very law. Why? Why do you think that Homosexuality is wrong, yet incest (which is the act of sleeping with any of your close family members-daughter, sister, mother, brother, aunt, uncle, cousin grandma, grandpa- and having sex with them) is ok? What the fuck is wrong with you?
This law is broken on down: “Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother. Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or mother’s daughter whether or not she was born in the same house or elsewhere. Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter. Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister/mother’s sister. Your father’s brother’s wife. Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter or her son’s daughter or daughter’s daughter. Do not take your wife’s sister as a wife while she is still living. Do not approach a woman for sexual relations while she is on her period. Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife.”
All of these lead up to the ONE verse used to justify anti-gay hate, yet no one hates the incestuous or those who deviate from the se very laws. In fact there are a growing number of legislators who would count these as nonexistent because they do not see anything wrong with this, even though their desire to enforce “Biblical” law would force them to punish even these as crimes along with the following.
“Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it.” And yet, here again, there are many who want it both ways. They want “Biblical” law, and yet, they practice this as well. Where is the outrage for this practice?
And since we are on the “law” kick, we cannot forget to include the implementation of the Jewish feast and festivals. Holidays, if you will. And then rid ourselves of all the supposed “Christian” holidays that married pagan beliefs with Christian tradition. And we cannot forget laws such as:
“Clean and Unclean meat”: we would have to omit pork out of our diet along with rabbit, squirrel, and quite a few other meats that we tend to enjoy right now.
“Tithes”: one tithe would go toward feeding the poor, elderly, sick, widowed, and fatherless…not to mention those who are foreigners in the land. (Oh joy! just what the doctor ordered.)
“The year of cancelling debts”: won’t the banks and landlords just love you for adding this to the books? every seven years, all debts-great or small-were commanded to be forgiven whether they were paid or not. Creditors would just simply have to count their losses and start anew.
And what about the “Rebellious son” rule? If a son (or daughter) refuses to obey their parent, they would be stoned to death.
Of course, I could go on and list all the laws the ancient Israelites were given to follow, but I do not want a document of over a million words. What I am going to do is the following:
Fellow “Christians” who are blowing off about the Biblical law and wanting a theocracy remember one thing. Christ fulfilled the law and the prophets, We, as Christians, are saved by grace through our faith, not by physical deed. No amount of following the Law (and it is said many times in the New Testament that those who live in the Law are dead, but those who live In Christ are alive) will save our worthless asses. This, by no means, is a directive to stop following. It is merely shifting our focus from what we see to what we should be doing in our OWN lives. We should practice what we claim to, and not just claim to be something. Claiming and being are two very different things.
Also remember that the theocracy that was the Holy Roman Empire was brought to its knees by the fanatical hunt for heretics, when the greatest heretic of all is any man, woman or child who hates any of their fellow humans enough to kill without any defensive reason, then lie about why. Hate, fellow Christians, is anti-Christian. One of the first non-Jewish converts was not white. He was Ethiopian and a slave.
By the way. I would like to say that anyone who was caught breaking ANY of these commandments and laws were summarily taken outside the camp or tow/city they lived in and was stoned to death despite whether they were affluent or mere paupers. It had been commanded thus, and thus it was performed.
I am glad that Christ fulfilled the law through his sacrifice for my sins. I do not need to worry about a death penalty for breaking any law. No, this does not mean I should stop. It just means that my salvation is not weighed by the law. It is weighed by my faith in Him. And this faith is the willingness to walk in the spirit, rather than the flesh. For the flesh will die but the spirit lives on.